[linux-lvm] Moving a lv between hosts

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Wed Aug 9 07:09:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:54:23PM +1200, Simon wrote:
>Hi Luca,

Please, keep the thread on the mailing list
(to everybody else, sorry for the full quote)

>Thanks for the responce... a quick question (see below):
>
>On 8/9/06, Luca Berra <bluca at comedia.it> wrote:
>>On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 03:54:01PM +1200, Simon wrote:
>> >Hi There,
>> >
>> >Is there an easy way/process to move a logical volume between hosts?
>> >(Apart from coping the data within the mounted volume).
>> >
>> >In reading thru.. vgexport and vgimport are for the volume group
>> >itself. But i would like a away to just move a lv within vg.
>>
>>if the lv is the only thing sitting onto a set of pv
>>you can just:
>>lvchange -a n on the old host
>>move the disks
>>avtivate the vg with the --partial option on the new host
>>
>>then run vgreduce --removemissing on both machines.
>
>On server1 and server2 we have a hdc1 which is a Linux LVM, i have
>created a vg called "testvg", and then a number of lvs "testlv1" to
>"testlv5" on server1  and now want to move "testlv3" (for example)
>over to server2.

then you have two different disks one in each server.

in this case you have to create a suitable vg and lv on server2
either copy the data from a mounted filesystem
or you dd the whole lv.

>(Sorry, a bit new to this and might not have the terms down yet)...
>
>If i to a "vchange -a n /dev/testvg/testlv3", which makes it now
>unavailable within the vg... when you say "move the disk" do you mean
>pysically move the disk?

ignore my previous mail, it does not apply to your case.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN