[linux-lvm] Re: lvm partition on lv

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Mon Aug 14 04:42:57 UTC 2006

Randall Smith wrote:
> Warning:  This may be insane.
>
> I like the flexibility of LVM and try to use it wherever it's feasible.
>  In this case, I'd like a Xen guest OS to have control over it's LV's.
>  The method I usually see for using LVM with Xen is to create an LV and
> a filesystem on it.  I would like to instead create an LV and partition
> it with an LVM partition and maybe other partition types.  Just to test
> this I did the following:
>
> 1. lvcreate -L 100M -name test vg1
> 2. cfdisk /dev/vg1/test
> 3. create LVM partition on entire device
> 4. pvcreate /dev/vg1/test
> 5. vgcreate vg2 /dev/vg1/test
> 6. vgchange -ay /dev/vg2
> 7. lvcreate -L 50M -n testlv vg2
> 8. mkfs.ext3 /dev/vg2/testlv
> 9. mkdir /mnt/test
> 10. mount /dev/vg2/testlv /mnt/test
>
> And it worked!  Cool!
>
> Let's say on /dev/vg1/test I had one LVM partition and one ext3
> partition.  How can I access those separate partitions since it's only
> one device (/dev/vg1/test)?  Normally, a partitioned block device
> (/dev/hda) would show up like /dev/hda1, dev/hda2, etc.
>
> In the example above, I'm partitioning the LV and using the partition on
> the same system, which is useless.  What I will be doing is giving the
> disk image /dev/vg1/test to a Xen guest so it can have it's own VG and
> LVs.  Are there potential problems I should look out for and/or tweaking
> I should do to make this work optimally?

/dev/vg1/test is used as a disk for the Xen guest OS.  The guest then
recognizes vg2 on /dev/vg1/test.  By default, the host will also
recognize and activate vg2.  Is there a problem with this and should I
somehow configure the host not to activate vg2?  I know this may be
confusing, but it's very useful.  I actually have it working now with
several LVs on vg2.  So I've got PV->VG->LV->PV->VG-(LVs).

Randall