[linux-lvm] LVM2 on dmraid -- can't boot

Greg Hartzog glhartzog at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 14:24:15 UTC 2006

Hello there David.

Several things to check.

First, do you have LVM2 support in the kernel at time of boot?  Either by
having modules which get carried in the initial RAM disk and then get loaded
when the kernel first boots or by compiling them in.

Second, do you have DM-RAID support in the kernel at time of boot?  Same
note as above for how to get there.

Third, do you have someplace where the kernel and initial RAM disk live that
is either on RAID-1 or not protected at all?

Fourth, which boot loader as you using?  LILO can be fooled into handling
getting the kernel and initial RAM disk from inside an LV, GRUB can not be
fooled like that.

Fifth, since I assume this is Intel based, you still need the kernel and
initial RAM disk to reside on the first section of the physical disks due to
hardware boot logic issues (INT 13 things I think).

I have a number of systems running LVM2 on top of soft RAID, using LILO to
boot.  My system volumes have 2 paritions, one for "/boot" and then
everything else.  All filesystems reside on LVs, including swap and "/".  So
I know this will work.

Give me a shout back if you still having issues.

Thanks!