[linux-lvm] Ran vgreduce --missing to remove broken disk, am I screwed?

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Tue Aug 29 21:16:26 UTC 2006

Thomas Novin wrote:

>>I had a disk that stopped working. After booting I could see with
>>pvdisplay
>>that the disk was missing. After reading everything I could find via
>>google
>>I thought that you were supposed to run 'vgreduce --remove-missing
>>volgrp0'
>>to remove the missing disk from the group.
>>
>>After this the volume group looks OK but the entire logical volume got
>>removed! Am I screwed now or is there any way to salvage the data which is
>>on the remaining three disks?
>>

>Please someone answer this, is there any solution to this problem? To
>clarify:
>
>- Disk failure
>- Ran 'vgreduce --remove-missing volgrp0' (probably not such a good idea)
>- /dev/volgrp0/ emtpy. 'lvdisplay' doesn't show anything.
>
>So, can I somehow restore my logical volume? The three other physical
>disks/partitions are intact.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Thomas Novin

You will probably be able to restore your config from a backup. Look in
/etc/lvmconf . Or, look for files that may be backups of your
configuration. You should be able to do some sort of vgcfgrestore
command using a previous conf and get back to, at least, where you were
before doing the remove.

Peter