[linux-lvm] Problem with vgreduce on LVM1

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Tue Aug 29 16:21:16 UTC 2006

I can't seem to remove two physical volumes.  I've removed the LVs on
them.  I've deactivated the PVs.  But I can not remove the PVs from the VG.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

[root at linux archive]# pvmove -v /dev/emcpowera
pvmove -- checking name of source physical volume "/dev/emcpowera"
pvmove -- locking logical volume manager
pvmove -- reading data of source physical volume from "/dev/emcpowera"
pvmove -- checking volume group existence
pvmove -- reading data of volume group "data" from lvmtab
pvmove -- checking volume group consistency of "data"
pvmove -- searching for source physical volume "/dev/emcpowera" in
volume group "data"
pvmove -- no logical volumes on empty source physical volume
"/dev/emcpowera"

[root at linux archive]# vgreduce data /dev/emcpowera
vgreduce -- ERROR: can't reduce volume group "data" by used physical
volume "/dev/emcpowera"

[root at linux archive]# pvdisplay /dev/emcpowera
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/emcpowera
VG Name               data
PV Size               785.10 GB [1646481408 secs] / NOT usable 1 GB
[LVM: 127 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             available
Allocatable           NO
Cur LV                4
PE Size (KByte)       1048576
Total PE              784
Free PE               784
Allocated PE          0
PV UUID               JpYFFb-NUqC-trBf-oFm7-tbdF-65If-GZ56fw

Does anyone have any idea why I can't complete a reduce?

Thanks,
Peter

Note:
Logical Volume Manager 1.0.8-13
Heinz Mauelshagen, Red Hat  03/05/2005 (IOP 10)