[linux-lvm] Re: bug in CLING allocator on lv extend

Jun'ichi Nomura j-nomura at ce.jp.nec.com
Wed Dec 6 18:22:20 UTC 2006

Hi Jens,

Thanks for testing and detailed bug report.

Attached patch will fix the problem.
I have tested it with your test case and it works well.
Please check on your environment, too.

The cause of the problem was that _alloc_parallel_area()
in lib/metadata/lv_manip.c assumed either:
  - areas in "areas[]" are sorted in size
or
  - all areas in areas[] are large enough to fulfill the
    allocation request at once
So it's been ok just to check the last item of areas[]
for adjusting the allocation size.

Under the "cling" policy, this assumption is no longer true.

BTW, the bug was already fixed in the allocation patch set
posted to lvm-devel on Oct. 13, which is not yet accepted.

--
Jun'ichi Nomura, NEC Corporation of America