[linux-lvm] vgimport/vgexport commands when logically moving disks between systems

Dave davo_muc at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 13:37:28 UTC 2006

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for clarifying the status of LVM1 (ie. *not* a clustering tool).  That's
somewhat surprising since it does include an LVM script in the resource.d directory.
 In any case, we're not in a huge rush to upgrade to LVM2 unless it really is
necessary, as these are RH AS3 boxes running the 2.4.21-47.ELsmp kernel, and the
docs I've read suggest LVM2 really needs/wants to run under a 2.6.x kernel.

If direct-io to metadata could be set as an option under LVM1, assuming that isn't
the default, that would be helpful.  But, it sounds like no one really wants to
support LVM1 anymore?!

Assuming we want to go forward with an upgrade to LVM2 on the current systems, how
involved is that procedure?  Do we risk losing all our data?

Thanks,
Dave