[linux-lvm] can't create a PV

Gunther Clasen gunther_clasen at arcor.de
Mon Feb 6 21:51:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have the following problem: I have a VG which sits on two partitions.
This VG has been created with SuSE 7.2, that is version 1 of LVM. (I
don't know exactly which one.) I wish to extend that VG and I have tried
to do that from SuSE 9.2, which runs
  LVM version:     2.00.25 (2004-09-29)
  Library version: 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)
  Driver version:  4.1.0

The type of the partition is set to Linux LVM, like the others, but it
does not work. I get this error:

# pvcreate -vv /dev/hdg9
      Setting global/locking_type to 1
      Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
      File-based locking enabled.
      Locking /var/lock/lvm/P_orphans WB
      Getting size of /dev/hdg9
      metadata/pvmetadatasize not found in config: defaulting to 255
      metadata/pvmetadatacopies not found in config: defaulting to 1
  /dev/hdg9: Couldn't find device.  Check your filters?
      Unlocking /var/lock/lvm/P_orphans

I can't see that the filters are a problem. The entry in
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf is:
    filter = [ "r|/dev/.*/by-path/.*|", "r|/dev/.*/by-id/.*|", "a/.*/" ]

I understand now that I should use -M1 to add this PV to an old V1 VG,
but that is not the problem. I still get the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gunther