[linux-lvm] LVM - help replacing a drive.

Dave Schile daveschile at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:14:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

This is a simple question, but I really don't want to lose any data, so I'd
really appreciate it if someone could give me a quick rundown on how this is
done. I've searched around and read the LVM Howto but Im still not
comfortable with this specific scenario:

I have a simple implementation of LVM that creates logical volume from
/dev/hda3 and /dev/hdc1. /dev/hda is a 250G drive that holds the filesystem
on /dev/hda1, but only /dev/hda3 is part of the volume group. /dev/hdc1 is a
100G drive with only one partition and its part of the volume group.

I want to replace /dev/hdc1 with a 250G drive I just bought. Right now the
whole logical volume is 334G. All of that is allocated and none is free as
far as physical extens go. However, I only have 119G of data on the whole
logical volume. Is there any way to tell where physically that data resides?
I cannot do a pvmove (as I understand it) because I have no free extens on
/dev/hda3. Is it better to make extens available somehow on /dev/hda3 and do
a pvmove? or should I install the new drive somewhere else, like /dev/hdb,
then add it to the volume group and do a pvmove? If that's the case, then
will it screw up the volume group when I move the new drive into its
permanent location at /dev/hdc?

I know that's a lotta questions, but I really need some clarification. If
anyone can help I'll be very thankfull.

Dave Schile