[linux-lvm] Recovering LVM configuration on crashed RAID partition

Oliver Schembach oliver at schembach.de
Wed Jan 18 17:42:15 UTC 2006

Karl O. Pinc schrieb:

> On 01/18/2006 08:13:12 AM, Oliver Schembach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running 4 IDE disks in my home server using software raid with
>> the following partition layout:
>>
>> hd[abcd]1   /boot (RAID 1)
>> hd[abcd]2   swap (RAID 5)
>
> I don't know what I'm doing with LVM so can't help, but I can
> say that you don't want to run swap on raid5.  Probably you
> want to run it on raid0, perhaps raid 1 if you've hot-swappable
> drives and want to maximize uptime.
>
> Karl <kop at meme.com>
> Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
>                  -- Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for your recommendation regarding RAID 5 on swap partitions.
There's not so much swapping on my machine, so I didn't really notice
the drawbacks resulting from the CPU XORing for the raid 5 algarithm.
My idea really was to avoid  the machine going down in case of a disk
crash in the raid array.
But you are right, I will change the swap partition to RAID 1 (...if I
ever will get back my data from my LVM partition...)

Regards,
    Oliver