[linux-lvm] pvcreate can't use entire disk?

AJ Lewis aj at terrascale.net
Tue Jan 24 14:55:59 UTC 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 5:02 PM, f-lvm at media.mit.edu wrote:

>     Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:35:16 +0000
>     From: Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com>
>
>     On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:26:00PM -0500, f-lvm at media.mit.edu
> wrote:
>> "Device /dev/hdd not found."  The disk is surely online:  I can
>
>> I would have -expected- pvcreate to complain about a partition table
>> existing
>
>     The currrent internal structure of LVM2 makes that difficult.
>     Add -vvvv to commands for more information like that.
>
>     Invalid devices are filtered out at a low level in the libraries
>     so tools such as 'pvcreate' never see them.
>
>     If your disk has a partition table, then LVM2 insists you use
> those
>     partitions to reduce the risk of accidents.
>
> Ah.  That's directly contrary to the LVM2 howto at
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/initdisks.html,
> which says, "If you get an error that LVM can't initialize
> a disk with a partition table on it, ..." etc.

Well, LVM1 would complain about the partition table.  I guess lvm2
does not, but that doesn't change the fact that neither would let you
write to a whole disk with a partition table on it.  I can update the
howto to say that is the error to expect for lvm2 when trying to use
a whole disk with a partition table on it.

Regards,
AJ