[linux-lvm] LVM2 maximum logical volume size help

Robbie Coss robbie at vzavenue.net
Tue Jul 11 14:54:52 UTC 2006

Hi Shaun,

"Kernel 2.6 supports ext3 filesystems up to 32TB, according to RH Support."

I was wondering where you got this information. According to their web site:
http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/limits/
the limit is 8TB.

I opened a support ticket and asked about this and this is what I was told:

Q: "The indicated web page (LVM2 Howto) gives a limit of 8 Exebytes for
LVM2. However, this web page (http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/limits/)
gives a limit of 8TB for the ext3 filesystem. Which limit applies? And if
the 8TB limit applies, are there other options, for example, other supported
filesystem types I can use to increase the limit?"

A: "The 8Exa limit is for a LVM2 i.e if the OS supports it. Hence the 2 TB
limit is applicable on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. You can possibly make use
of some other Filesystem by adding some third party modules, but it will not
be supported by red hat."

I think he was reading the wrong column (V3 instead of V4), hence the 2TB
instead of 8TB.
This paper seems to confirm the 8TB limit for the 2.6 kernel:
http://ext2.sourceforge.net/2005-ols/2005-ext3-paper.pdf

"Assuming a 4 KB blocksize, a 32-bit block
number limits the maximum size of the filesystem
to 16 TB. However, because the superblock
format currently stores the number of block
groups as a 16-bit integer, and because (again
on a 4 KB blocksize filesystem) the maximum
number of blocks in a block group is 32,768
(the number of bits in a single 4k block, for
the block allocation bitmap), a combination of
these constraints limits the maximum size of
the filesystem to 8 TB."

Robbie