[linux-lvm] lvm2 volumes not available on boot

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Jul 13 15:52:41 UTC 2006

Hi.

I have what is probably a very simple question concerning lvm2.    If I
create an lvm2 volume, and reboot, I no longer see the volume.  The
system startup scripts do "vgchange -a y", but if I do this by hand, I get:

No volume groups found

On the other hand, if I manually type "pvscan", I see:
   PV /dev/sdb1   VG scratch   lvm2 [558.75 GB / 508.75 GB free]
   Total: 1 [558.75 GB] / in use: 1 [558.75 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

... and then when I type "vgchange -ay", I get:
   1 logical volume(s) in volume group "scratch" now active

I was under the impression that "vgchange -ay" should have picked up
physical volumes as well?  Since I don't see a pvscan command in the
system startup scripts (RedHat Enterprise 4), I wonder what I might be
doing wrong.

Thanks for any help you can provide..

Jason.