[linux-lvm] lvm2 volumes not available on boot

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Jul 13 16:38:10 UTC 2006

Dieter Stüken wrote:
> Jason Keltz wrote:
>> I have what is probably a very simple question concerning lvm2.    If I
>> create an lvm2 volume, and reboot, I no longer see the volume.  The
>> system startup scripts do "vgchange -a y", but if I do this by hand, I get:
>>
>> No volume groups found
>
> I observed this for my SuSE system, too. I found, LVM was compiled as
> a module, but it was not loaded when system startup initialized lvm :-(
> I managed to push loading of LVM into initrd. Thus it gets loaded
> very early and even may mount root from LVM. Either start mkinitrd
> manually with the informations to load LVM, or declare the LVM module
> within some config file to get it into initrd.
>
> For SuSE it's in: /etc/sysconfig/kernel.

Hi.

Thanks for your quick response.  I don't think in my case the problem is
that the module isn't loaded .... Here are the lines in rc.sysinit:

     if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static ]; then
         if /sbin/lvm.static vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure >
/dev/null
2>&1 ; then
             action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:"
/sbin/lvm.static vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure
         fi
     fi

Before the vgscan is run, here are the loaded modules:

Module                  Size  Used by
dm_mirror              28577  0
dm_mod                 59717  1 dm_mirror
joydev                 13953  0
button                 10449  0
battery                12741  0
ac                      8773  0
uhci_hcd               32729  0
ehci_hcd               31813  0
3w_9xxx                35909  0
e1000                  99757  0
floppy                 57937  0
ext3                  118729  1
jbd                    60761  1 ext3
ata_piix               13381  1
libata                 57885  1 ata_piix
sd_mod                 20417  2
scsi_mod              116941  3 3w_9xxx,libata,sd_mod

... so "dm_mod" is actually loaded, and as far as I know, that's the
lvm2 module.  The output of those commands is then:

File descriptor 21 left open
   No volume groups found
   No volume groups found
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...

... and it doesn't seem to find any physical volumes, but if I use the
same command after bootup:

# /sbin/lvm.static vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Found volume group "scratch" using metadata type lvm2

??

Jason.