[linux-lvm] Error setting up a mirrored lv

Harik A'ttar harik at chaos.ao.net
Tue Jul 18 19:16:13 UTC 2006

Laurenz, Dirk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm doing this:
>
>>> hgest3301:~/LVM2.2.02.06 # lvcreate -m1 -n lvmirror -L 10G
>>> vgtest /dev/dm-55 /dev/dm-56
>>>   Not enough PVs with free space available for parallel allocation.
>>>   Consider --alloc anywhere if desperate.

> what's wrong?
> Is there any documentation out there?
> Why do we need three pvs? for a mirror?
> Are there any other options?

As you noticed, you need a log partition.  dm-mirror is a bit smarter
then the basic MD raid1 in that it uses a log disk to keep track of
write completions for synchronization.  I've only recently got a kernel
that supports modern mirror, but it looks like the log file sticks at a
single extent even with a 20gb mirror (all my free space).

Is there a reason that the mirror is on a separate volume rather then a
serialized metadata chunk at the end of each?  Just for seektime
performance reasons?