[linux-lvm] lvm2/dm hangs - ioctl cmd 9 failed

Paul Reilly paul at astropaul.com
Wed Jul 19 06:10:12 UTC 2006

I'm getting various lvm/devmapper errors when creating and removing
snapshots on debian Sarge.

  device-mapper - ioctl cmd 9 failed: Cannot allocate memory
  Couldn't load device 'myvg-www2_snapshot'.
  Unable to deactivate logical volume "myvg-www2_snapshot"

I am using:

  LVM version:     2.01.04 (2005-02-09)
  Library version: 1.01.00-ioctl (2005-01-17)
  Driver version:  4.3.0

or package names on sarge:

 lvm2                            2.01.04-5
 libdevmapper1.01                1.01.00-4
 kernel 2.6.10

My lvm subsystem is now locked by an unkillable process.
I think the only option is to reboot, but I have a lot of
data in LVM volumes, and don't want to risk losing it.

Has anyone else experienced these types of errors?
Is there a bug fix for this?

There do not appear to be any updated packages for debian sarge.
I could install from source, if I know this is a known problem
with a known fix.

Thanks
Paul