[linux-lvm] LVM1 - "VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent"error following lvm operations

Dave davo_muc at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 08:50:16 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have slightly more info re: this error message I'm seeing.  After running vgdisplay and getting the message:

    VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent

I issued an $? to see the exit code and it was 98, which is explained as:

    invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8))

in the vgdisplay man page.  How does the lvmtab become invalid?

I do not want to have to reboot (because this will cause an outage for our customers), but I know from previous experience that the error message will disappear following a reboot.  I'm also hesitant to add new disks, vg's, lv's, and file systems until I can run vgdisplay without an error.  Should I be concerned re: this message???

Thanks!
Dave