[linux-lvm] Mounting two logical volumes to the same mount point

Aad Rijnberg Aad.Rijnberg at zonnet.nl
Tue Jun 20 19:07:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

my logical volume that contains /usr appears to be too small. I already
removed some applications that I did not need, but it is still on the edge.
Now that there are a lot of updates, I get the complaint of yum that there is
not enough free space on /usr.

I just bought an additional harddisk which I also needed for other purposes,
and would like to reserve part of this new drive for extra LVM space. I have
just created a new volume group (VolGroup01) on the new drive, and a logical
volume (LogVol01) inside that physical volume group.

Can I mount both /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 (which contains the /usr data
on the "old" drive) and /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol01 to the /usr mount
point? Or can only one logical volume be mounted to a mount point?

Aad