[linux-lvm] Uuid for unknown device blows up VolGroup00

Teak Billard teamwassily at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 19:01:36 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I recently tried to add an old 30 GB hard drive lying in my machine to my FC5 system.  I was trying to add the 30 GB to VolGroup00.  I failed somehow and now the entire VolGroup00 is inaccessible.  When booting I get a Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!  I think if I removed the offending Uuid from VolGroup00 things would go back to normal.

Here's the output of some lvm commands from the FC Rescue Disk:

 lvm> pvscan
 Couldn't find device with uuid '8YsyEa-r5Rx-2LLI-Zz7n-xr8s-VksP-Mhs0Wi'
 PV  /dev/hdb3             VG VolGroup00  lvm2  [47.81 GB / 32.00 MB free]
 PV unknown device      VG VolGroup00  lvm2  [27.94 GB / 27.94 GB free]
 Total: 2 / in use: 2 / in no VG: 0

 lvm> vgscan
 Couldn't find device with uuid: '8YsyEa-r5Rx-2LLI-Zz7n-xr8s-VksP-Mhs0Wi'.
 Couldn't find all phsyical volumes for volume group VolGroup00
 Couldn't find device with uuid: '8YsyEa-r5Rx-2LLI-Zz7n-xr8s-VksP-Mhs0Wi'.
 Couldn't find all phsyical volumes for volume group VolGroup00
 Volume Group "VolGroup00" not found

When I do an lvm pvdisplay, it reveals that VolGroup00 has two uuid's in it. One is /dev/hdb3 with uuid M3CWKv-a2yK-b5Qu-rLzq-Aj27-lXxE-WzvkWE and the other is unknown device with uuid 8YsyEa-r5RX-2LLI-Zz7n-Xr8s-VksP-Mhs0Wi.

I would greatly appreciate any help.  I'm currently unable to get at my data since it was all in VolGroup00.  Please help me if you can. :)

Teak