[linux-lvm] pvmove didn't work - now system won't boot

Chad Rebuck chadrebuck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 15:29:41 UTC 2006

I ran "pvmove -v /dev/hdc2" to move the data off the drive but it
stopped before any real drive activity happened.  The system was stuck
for about 30 minutes not doing anything so I powered off/on.  Now it
boots into a bash prompt but suggests I run fsck manually.  I noticed
that lvm only reported that 2 of the 3 physical volumes were found.  I
can't run any lvm commands from here as I get a 'Locking type 1
initialization failed'.

What steps do I take to get the system to boot again?  The root dir is
part of the lvm volume.  The /boot is separate from the lvm volume but
maybe this is required anyway for lvm to work.

Thanks,
Chad