[linux-lvm] online resize

Zac Slade krakrjak at volumehost.net
Sun Mar 26 08:46:13 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 07:08, Roger Lucas wrote:
> We use Reiser3 here and it can grow a volume whilst it is mounted, but you
> have to unmount the volume before you can shrink it.
>
> The man pages for resize_reiserfs indicate that it should be used on
> unmounted volumes...
reiser3, resizable online in two ways (growing only)
        1)resize_reiserfs /path/to/dev
        2)mount -o remount,resize /path/to/dev
To shrink reiser3 filesystem it must be unmounted.

XFS, MUST be mounted to resize use xfs_grow /mount/point
JFS, resizable online with a mount -o remount,resize /path/to/dev
ext2/3, resizable offline reliably.  Online resize is a *very* experimental
experiment.  Have good backups.

For a good reference if one is ever needed to give to a friend, relative or
foe try http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

--
Zac Slade
krakrjak at volumehost.net