[linux-lvm] recovering the root partition under lvm

Daniel Senderowicz daniel at bicho.synchrodesign.com
Mon May 8 19:01:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm new to the list and also "very" new to lvm. I need some help
badly.

I installed FC5 on a VMware machine with the host being XP. The
installation went OK and as I said I didn't realize what the
installation was offering me in terms of the disk configuration.
Unfortunately at one point I stopped the virtual machine without
going through the proper linux shutdown sequence. So now the system
refuses the boot with a "kernel panic" message. After poking around
a bit I realised that the root partition was installed under an
LVM volume which I cannot access now. I booted the system with a
live-cd (gentoo) which has all the lvm tools. I need help in the
form of a recipe sequence on how I can fix the problem without
wiping it irreversibly.  Below is the output from running "lvdisplay".
Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                BUx6ZG-QsMx-26hz-5iCv-0YF2-qm4B-ee0Mkw
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                95.00 GB
  Current LE             3040
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                R8uiEo-pCFO-MZd9-VTrr-To12-ZbGv-x5Pmbn
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                1.94 GB
  Current LE             62