[linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Joep Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri May 12 22:25:58 UTC 2006

Klaus Strebel wrote:

>Hi Joep,
>
>well, what Patrick meant is, that your system (forget that USB drive in
>this moment) already has a VG called VolGroup00 on your internal disk.
>The modern FC distros use it as default (i think, i'm using SuSE ;-) ).
>Before messing up more using fdisk, just provide us with the output of a
>vgdisplay -a ;-) get an impression of the 'disaster' :-).
>
>Btw. the volume group your wanted to create has the name VG0, not
>VolGroup00 ;-) ..
>
>Ciao
>Klaus

Klaus & Pattrick,
I'm sorry I asked the wrong question (stupid me!). I interpreted the
output of vgcreate wrongly. Yes, Klaus, the VolGroup00 was automatically
created by FC when I did an upgrade.
The correct question is that VG01 (the name I gave it) occupies 232.88
Gb although I had asked for 250 Gb. Where are the 17.2 GB and can I add
them to VG01.
When I look with fdisk it says that no information is available for
/dev/sda1 and "invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be
corrected by w(rite)".
I assume that all problems have arisen due to the fact that I did a
pvcreate on a disk which has a W95 FAT32 partition ( of 250 Gb).
I assume the best way is to delete the partition completely and create a
new partition (with parted or fdisk?) or are there better methods? Do I
have to remove VG01 first?
Please, be lenient to me for these basic questions.
Joep