[linux-lvm] lvcreate gives 'device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument'

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Nov 2 16:15:29 UTC 2006

If linux reorders your devices, it won't affect LVM.

The two logical volumes you mentioned do not overlap.  The important
thing to look at there is the "stripes" section.  You can see that
'gen-website' lives on 'pv5' (i.e. the 5th physical volume in the
volume group) and that it starts at extent '0'.  'dvd' also lives on
'pv5', but it starts at extent 3840 - directly after 'gen-website'.

So, you are ok to do the lvremove maingroup/dvd.

  brassow

P.S.  If you accidentally did a 'lvremove -ff <vg>' and wiped out all
your volumes, there is no need to panic.  You can simply use
'vgcfgrestore' to bring them back.  Most mistakes in LVM2 are
reversible, which is nice.  :)