[linux-lvm] LVM groups not visible

J.L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Nov 10 23:05:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:22 -0700, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:

> Looks like the USB device wasn't plugged in when the box was booted, perhaps?

Lamont,
Thanks very much for your detailed explanation.
Yes, I did plug it in after I had started
> Standard thing to see.  It's a mostly stupid warning these days, as every
> desktop & notebook motherboard made in the past 8 years (or so) has LBA
> support out of the box, so it isn't an issue.  In other words, you can just
> ignore that.

I agree. It's a very old remark. Apparently nobody bothers to remove it
when upgrading the package.

> > Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
> > w(rite)
>
> That sometimes happens when the partition table was initially created by some
> other tool (like Windows, or Partition Magic), as they don't all do exactly
> the same thing with some parts of it.  Given that the "offending" flag's
> value was 0x0000, I think it be that it was just never set by the other tool.
>
> However, that's not why this is happening in this case (read the next bit to
> see what's up).
>

> This is blank because you are trying to read a partition table from the 1st
> partition.  You ran "fdisk /dev/sda1" not "fdisk /dev/sda" as it should have
> been.  I hate it when I do that :) .

Yes! Sorry my own stupidity.

> Since it's a USB disk, I would guess that it wasn't inserted when you booted
> your box.  So, when LVM was being set up by /etc/rc.sysinit, it didn't find
> that device.  If you did another "pvscan" after inserting the USB disk, it
> might find it.

Well, no. When I did a pvscan it reported only the already installed
devices but pvscan -n gave what I think is the culprit:
______________________
 pvscan -n
  WARNING: only considering physical volumes in no volume group
  Couldn't find device with uuid
'G6vIxd-bp54-0zd0-PKzf-WI31-xPmr-qoeFAT'.
  No matching physical volumes found
Apparently the mentioned uuid is from the pv on the USB disk and for
some reason he cannot see it.
What would happen if I unmount the device and then do a pvscan?
> I already covered the problem with fdisk.
>

> OK.  Overall, I wouldn't bother trying to use LVM with a removable drive
> (USB/Firewire hard drives, keychain drives, etc.).  I can think of one
> possibly viable way of doing it, but I still probably wouldn't even in that
> case, because it wouldn't really give you any benefits.

I understand and had thought it would better to remove it.
> So, if you have already included the USB drive into your VG(s), get everything
> plugged in, make sure pvdisplay, vgdisplay, lvscan and friends are all happy,
> then run "pvmove /dev/sda1".  This will move any data you may have on there
> to other drives (the one built in to your box).
But isn't that a problem as the removable disks has > 100 GB backup data
and the fixed disks together are smaller (and have > 50 % occupied)

> In this thread, everyone has been *assuming* that your USB disk is /dev/sda.
> If your main hard drive is SATA or SCSI, it very well could be /dev/sda and
> your USB drive could be /dev/sdb or some other device; i.e., the last letter
> in the device name could be 'a', 'b', 'c', etc.  Run "fdisk -l" to see a list
> of all the hard drives your system currently sees without the USB drive
> plugged in, then plug it in and re-run "fdisk -l" and the extra one the
> second time is your USB drive.  Make sure you use the correct device name in
> your pvmove command.
>
> Once the pvmove command is finished, you can safely "redo" your USB device.
> If it's a hard drive, format it with ext3 or reiserfs or jfs or xfs (as you
> prefer).  If it's a flash device, I would recommend that you look at using
> JFFS2 for the filesystem.  Either way, make sure that the "type" (i.e. System
> ID) of the partition on your USB device is "83" (for regular Linux
> filesystems) and not "8e" (which is for Linux LVM PVs).

My fixed disks are IDE so the USB disk is /dev/sda.
I have had a look at JFFS but haven't used it do I have to know more of
it before I can use it.
One curious point when I run fdisk -l it gives my logical volumes
as /dev/dm-(1-5) but cannot find any meaningful information (which I
think is understandable).
Lamont, thanks again for your explanation and maybe you can clarify the
pvmove in this case as I think I don't have enough diskspace for that
exercise.
Joep