[linux-lvm] my PV's disappearing

Richard Mollel unixtipz at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 17:44:22 UTC 2006

For some unknown reasons...my LVM PV's which have
worked for several years are dropping!
Here is one example....the node is still up, the
partition usable...but pvscan/pvdisplay don't display
anything.
I know if i reboot, i wont be able to access this
partition anymore! It has happened to one filesystem
already. Any ideas what is going on here?

/dev/sdb1: unknown volume type
/dev/sdc1: unknown volume type
/dev/sdd1: unknown volume type
  No physical volume label read from /dev/sdb1
  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/sdb1"
  No physical volume label read from /dev/sdc1
  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/sdc1"
  No physical volume label read from /dev/sdd1
  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/sdd1"

Well, before i finished typing this message...the node
locked up (un-related issue) and upon reboot...it does
not find any PV's, thus VG's and LV's.

I followed a recovery procedure from
http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/archives/2005/general/lvm_recovery/
on a 5TB reiserfs filesystem...and the FS is still
hosed, with --rebuild-tree failing. I will post a
separate email for that. Now i am wondering how to
recover this one successfully...and also, why is it
happening? i have another node, that is still up, with
same symptoms..i know as soon as i reboot, it wont
work.

_Thanks

Rick...