[linux-lvm] lvcreate gives 'device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument'

Matt McHenry jerith at speakeasy.org
Wed Nov 15 04:26:55 UTC 2006

> Use vgreduce to remove sda12 from the volume group.
> Then edit the partition table to put things back i.e. delete 12 and
> extend 11, then reboot.
> (You may have some data corruption from what got written to sda12.)

 	I was still a bit nervous about this suggestion.  As it happens,
the only LV that was using sda11 was 'gen-website', which (as the name
suggests) can be regenerated from other data.  So instead, I just deleted
the 'gen-website' LV.  That allowed me to delete and re-create both the
sda11 and sda12 PVs.  This seems to have fixed everything.  I was able to
recreate the 'gen-website' LV and create my long-awaited 'dvd' LV as well.

 	Thanks again to Alasdair and Jonathan for all the help and
patience!

Matt McHenry
http://www.speakeasy.org/~jerith/
jerith at speakeasy.org