[linux-lvm] Broken hard disk

Martin Wilmes martin.wilmes at java-cup.de
Thu Oct 12 21:50:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

I had a standard Fedora Core 4 installation with the root fs and swap
on LVM. I upgraded to Core 5. Everything worked fine. No need to be an LVM
guru so far.

Then I added a new hard disk to the computer and a partition of this new disk
to the root volume. The "new" hard disk then broke down so that I am unable
to access the data on the root volume.

Now I installed the old, hopefully still working disk in a different computer
and booted with Knoppix 5.0.1 to get some of my data back but vgscan -v comes
back with nothing at all.

fdisk says

Disk /dev/hda: 20.5 GB, 20525137920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2495 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14        2495    19936665   8e  Linux LVM

Any suggestions how to recover that volume?

Thanks
Martin