[linux-lvm] Boot fails after change of motherboard: No volume groups found

Volker Englisch Volker at englisch.us
Mon Oct 16 21:53:07 UTC 2006

 > Does your new motherboard use a different SATA controller?  Perhaps
 > your initrd doesn't have the proper driver.

Yes, that was (part of) the problem.

I ran mkinitrd and modified /etc/modprobe.conf to make sure the sata_via
module gets loaded.  Now my system does find and activate the volume.

However, another error message which I've seen before but didn't list in
my original mail since I thought it was a follow-up message caused by
not finding the volume group is still present:
    mount: error 6 mounting ext3
    ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2

Thanks

    Volker Englisch