[linux-lvm] Missing VGs?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Oct 17 22:13:30 UTC 2006

A few days ago, I asked about an old drive that I have that has two
partitions, typed as "fd" ( Linux RAID autodetect ).  Running vgscan and
pvscan doesn't seem to produce anything that makes sense to me, because
I expect to see VGs on these two partitions.

I then went on to "pvdisplay" and see the following, which seems to say
that the "pvcreate" command was run on both partitions, but that nothing
else was done.  Am I correct, and am I dealing with two basically unused
LVM2 partitions?

  --- NEW Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/md5
  VG Name
  PV Size               37.26 GB
  Allocatable           NO
  PE Size (KByte)       0
  Total PE              0
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               62mYb1-sf0O-FA0J-D6TI-kUg6-R5og-mOZAB6

  --- NEW Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/md6
  VG Name
  PV Size               149.05 GB
  Allocatable           NO
  PE Size (KByte)       0
  Total PE              0
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               uhilT7-33EQ-65Ml-ntFf-iDjJ-fhkn-lag1ev

Thanks,
Brian