[linux-lvm] "System ID" entry missing in metadata (LVM2) ?!

Andreas Octav andreas.octav at anykey.de
Wed Oct 18 17:21:55 UTC 2006

Sorry, i did not express myself correct: I do not want to share the
logical volumes for the use of a Cluster Filesystem (OCFS etc.). I just
want to be able to switch the volume groups from one host to another, so
only one host at a time has access to a specific volume group. But if I
do an vgimport on a host, every host that sees the VG can use it...
I am going to install several Oracle/SAP instances in different Volume
Groups and I want to be sure that only one host can access a specific VG
at a time.
The Veritas Volume Manager for example automatically sets a host id of
the system that imports a VG (DiskGroup in Veritas terms) during an
import, so any other system has to "force" an import, resulting in a
loss of access on the former owner.

Btw: In LVM1 the system ID is used:
..snip..

vgdisplay  VG Name               vg
vgdisplay  System ID             PV_IMPKnoppix1077635774
vgdisplay  Format                lvm1
..snap..

Is this obsolete in LVM2?