[linux-lvm] Mirror resync direction

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 21:45:26 UTC 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
>> The use of --corelog simply means that the mirror device will be
>> resynchronized every time the device is activated.  The persistent log
>> (disk log) tracks what resynchronization has been done and can avoid
>> all complete resyncs.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that bit, but I couldn't see any other way to achieve
> it with only two PVs. The "--alloc anywhere" as suggested in the error
> message doesn't have any effect for me.

Jun'ichi Nomura from NEC is working on the allocation issues - it's a
bit buggy WRT mirrors.

However, you could use a known bug to get around having to use
--corelog when you only have two devices.

1) lvcreate -m1 --corelog -L <don't use all the space> -n mirror vg
2) lvconvert -m1 vg/mirror

The convert doesn't currently honor the allocation schemes very well
right now either.  It will simply put the disk log on one of the two
devices.

  brassow