[linux-lvm] "cloning" from ide to sata drive, can't find root

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 22:45:05 UTC 2006

On 10/30/06, brianmas at highstream.net <brianmas at highstream.net> wrote:
> I did a straight up mirroring of a drive doing dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda where
> the src is an ide drive and target a sata drive and not unexpectedly it can't
> find the root device on boot.
>
> Typing out the error message ...
>
> [snip]
> Reading all physical volumes this may take a while ...
> No volume groups found
> Unable to find Volume Group "VolGroup00"
> [snip]
>
> I used a rescue disc distro and used dd to extract info subtible for
> vgcfgrestore,
> after which I did some other finagaling with vgchange and I can mount the volume
> and view the data on it, so it's there, vgscan/pvscan and lvscan all show it ...
> but as mentioned boot it's just not picked up on boot so it can be mounted as
> '/'. I thought I fixed it with the vgcfgrestore (changing /dev/hda2 to
> /dev/sda2) but obviously not ... any guidance is appreciated.
>
> thank you,
> brian

Ignoring LVM issues, I believe I've done this in the past with
traditional partitions.  IIRC, all I did was add a root=/dev/sdaX
parameter on my grub boot command line, and then use that to boot
single-user mode and edit my /etc/fstab to reference the correct
device.

Not sure how LVM would change that.

FYI: I personally don't use LVM on my boot and root partitions.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group