[linux-lvm] Re: Cleaning up stale handles in /etc/mtab

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Fri Sep 1 15:18:18 UTC 2006

> Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:13:41 -0400
> From: "Brown, Rodrick R" <rodrick.r.brown at bofasecurities.com>
> To: redhat-sysadmin-list at redhat.com
> Cc: linux-lvm at redhat.com
> Subject: Cleaning up stale handles in /etc/mtab
>
> Not sure what exactly happened on this server but it looks like the LUNS
> were pulled w/o removing the volumes correctly or something of that
> sort.

If you've got processes in D waiting on those volumes I think you might
be hosed beyond recovery without reboot.

Having said that, you could try bumping up /proc/sys/fs/file-max to something
insanely high and then cat /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab

After that, I could only make wild guesses as to what needs to happen next.

--
Matthew Galgoci
IS Production Operations