[linux-lvm] Misleading documentation (was: HDD Failure)

Mark Krenz mark at suso.org
Wed Sep 20 03:22:23 UTC 2006

  Personally I like it when documentation is kept simple and uses simple
examples.  There is nothing worse than when you are trying to learn
something and it tells you how to how to intantiate a variable, and then
it immediately goes on to show you how to make some complicated reference
to it using some code.

  I agree with you though, its probably a good idea to steer newcomers
in the right direction on disk management and a few notes about doing
LVM ontop of RAID being a good idea couldn't hurt.  This is especially
so since I've heard three mentions of people using LVM on a server
without doing RAID this week alone. :-/

  I suppose it could also be said that people who are causually doing
LVM on their systems using something like a GUI are most likely not
going to be referencing the man pages or LVM documentation until after
their system is setup, at which point it is probably too late to put the
physical volumes on a RAID array.  So I think its more the
responsibility of the GUI/ncurses installer to alert you to be using
RAID.

Mark