[linux-lvm] LVM on RAID

Andrew Boyko andy at boyko.net
Thu Sep 21 03:19:58 UTC 2006

We do this: we have, connected to an amd64 server via a QLogic
QLA-2340 to an FC switch, several RAID devices (XServe RAID, Nexsan
SATABeast) totalling 15 PVs in a single 27TB VG, with various XFS
filesystems, several of which approach 8-10TB.  These filesystems are
then exported to a small lab of NFS clients.  The vgdisplay:

   --- Volume group ---
   VG Name               Storage2
   System ID
   Format                lvm2
   Metadata Areas        15
   Metadata Sequence No  39
   VG Access             read/write
   VG Status             resizable
   MAX LV                256
   Cur LV                8
   Open LV               7
   Max PV                256
   Cur PV                15
   Act PV                15
   VG Size               27.74 TB
   PE Size               32.00 MB
   Total PE              909076
   Alloc PE / Size       905658 / 27.64 TB
   Free  PE / Size       3418 / 106.81 GB

I'm only mostly (rather than completely) convinced of the
righteousness of this approach, but it's been working for us, give or
take a dramatic episode that we never managed to completely diagnose
(the SCSI layer blew up in a way that acted like a hardware failure,
but with ultimately no clear evidence that the heart of the fault
wasn't an XFS corruption and no real device problem).  We have lost
and replaced drives in the RAID arrays, though it is a little heart-
stopping.

We're doing no meaningful fail-over, other than having a second
server configured and ready to replace the primary one in the case of
server catastrophe (which has happened).  No multipathing, no
clustering.

Any commentary on the appropriateness of this approach?  Occasionally
I look over at ZFS and the way it collapses the software stack to a
single component, and get a little jealous...

Regards,
Andy Boyko    andy at boyko.net