[linux-lvm] Wrecked Logical Volume with vgreduce --removemissing

Tom+Dale tdmyth at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 04:09:17 UTC 2006

I had a bad drive in my volume group, so I tried "vgreduce --removemissing VolGroup00" which seemed to work. Then, I tried "vgchange -ay --partial VolGroup00" which also appeared to complete successfully.  It seems like I was partly successful but I cannot get the logical volume to be recognized.  I don't know what else to do?  Where can I learn more about LVM?  How does one utilize the LVM archive or backup files?  Can't seem to find an answer to this problem.  Is all of my data lost?

[root[at]server ~]# lvchange -vvvay /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
Processing: lvchange -vvvay /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
O_DIRECT will be used
Setting global/locking_type to 1
Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
File-based locking enabled.
Using logical volume(s) on command line
Locking /var/lock/lvm/V_VolGroup00 WB
Opened /dev/sda RW
/dev/sda: block size is 4096 bytes
/dev/sda: No label detected
Opened /dev/hda1 RW
/dev/hda1: block size is 1024 bytes
/dev/hda1: No label detected
Opened /dev/hda2 RW
/dev/hda2: block size is 4096 bytes
/dev/hda2: No label detected
Opened /dev/hda3 RW
/dev/hda3: block size is 4096 bytes
/dev/hda3: No label detected
Opened /dev/hda5 RW
/dev/hda5: block size is 512 bytes
/dev/hda5: lvm2 label detected
lvmcache: /dev/hda5 now orphaned
lvmcache: /dev/hda5 now in VG VolGroup00
Opened /dev/hdb RW
/dev/hdb: block size is 4096 bytes
/dev/hdb: lvm2 label detected
lvmcache: /dev/hdb now orphaned
lvmcache: /dev/hdb now in VG VolGroup00
/dev/hda5: lvm2 label detected
/dev/hdb: lvm2 label detected
/dev/hda5: lvm2 label detected
/dev/hdb: lvm2 label detected
Read VolGroup00 metadata (11) from /dev/hda5 at 18944 size 720
/dev/hda5: lvm2 label detected
/dev/hdb: lvm2 label detected
Read VolGroup00 metadata (11) from /dev/hdb at 16896 size 720
One or more specified logical volume(s) not found.
Unlocking /var/lock/lvm/V_VolGroup00
Closed /dev/sda
Closed /dev/hda1
Closed /dev/hda2