[linux-lvm] Wrecked Logical Volume with vgreduce --removemissing

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Thu Sep 7 17:18:55 UTC 2006

Ok.  It sounds like the fix will have to involve finding a way to get
back to your installed-configuration.  The one that defines your VG as
containing *only* hda5 and hdb.  It sounds like you succeeded extending
the LV to include sda, but forgot to expand the filesystem after that.
Which, ultimately, may save you.  I don't have enough experience with
LVM (or just LVM2) to be able to tell you either how to edit your
current mangled config to force your LV to forget about sda (which it
sounds like you were successful accomplishing anyways) *or* to recover
the before-sda configuration.  I've looked at the config on my own
workstation and even though I'm using LVM2 I don't see any evidence of
backed-up or historical LVM2 configuration data.  So I *really* don't
know what to tell you there.  But I think it should be do-able.  There
may be someone out there capable of helping with this, but I'm afraid it
likely isn't me.  Although I might try and reproduce this on one of my
Fedora machines to see if I get stuck in the same box which you are in.

Peter