[linux-lvm] lvm on centos with raid1 and grub

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 12:44:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 03:38, Sterpu Victor wrote:
> After a reboot I couldn't boot from none of my hdd's.
> I receive just a grub console. Now I must reinstall grub, but in order
> to do this I need to know the name of the root partion in the LVM.
> To find out this I moved one of the hdd's in another computer and I
> tried to mount the LVM partition.
>
> I do "modprobe dm-mod" and when I do "vgchange -ay" I get the message:
>   File descriptor 3 left open
>   File descriptor 5 left open
>   File descriptor 7 left open
>   No volume groups found
> I have no LVM devices in /dev.
> The alternative is to reinstall the OS, but....

The first thing to try is booting the Centos install
CD with 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt.  If it
detects the existing installation it will mount it and
suggest that you 'chroot /mnt/sysinstall' after which
you will be able to see your old /etc/grub.conf and
have all the usual tools to reinstall grub.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com