[linux-lvm] Altering a Physical Volume's UUID

Mark Krenz mark at suso.org
Fri Sep 8 12:55:06 UTC 2006

  Hi,  I'm using LVM with Xen virtual machines by creating sparse image
files with something like

  dd if=/dev/zero of=diskimage bs=1 count=1 seek=1073741824

 Then I use a loopback device to use the diskimage as a block device and
create a physical volume, volume group and logical volumes on it.

  This all works great, but when I copy the diskimage file to another
file and try to setup a loopback device for it, I get complaints about
there being multiple identifical UUIDs for physical volumes and volume
groups.

  So is there a way to change the UUID of a physical volume and volume
group?

  If you are wondering why I would need to copy the diskimage file, its
because I'm setting up Xen template images for different OSes that I can
then simply copy into place, make a few modifications and then be on my
way.

--
Mark S. Krenz
IT Director