[linux-lvm] LVM metadata checksums

Mark Krenz mark at suso.org
Fri Sep 8 14:55:27 UTC 2006

  Before you say, DON'T DO IT THAT WAY, let me assure you that I have my
reasons and I'm aware of the risks. This is mostly related to my
question about changing UUIDs of physical volumes and volume groups.
Anyways, I thought that perhaps I could try to use hexedit to modify the
UUID within the image file.  However, after I did this I ran into all
the lvm commands complaining about checksum errors in the metadata.  So
my question is, where is the checksum stored and how is it calculated.
I noticed that there is an "LVM header near the beginning of the disk
followed by a long string:

 LABELONE........?... ...LVM2  001M0U7CEZK8M7l2Z4KnOtI1uSVjAu0cCFd

 Is that last part the checksum?  What kind is it?

--
Mark S. Krenz
IT Director