[linux-lvm] Configure lvm2 with drbd

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 10:31:35 UTC 2007

Mariano Gonzalvo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm trying to configure lvm2 on top of drbd. I've configured drbd
> (/dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1) and put them as primary node, but when I try
> to create a physical volume this is what it does happens
>
>        pvcreate /dev/drbd0
>           Physical volume "/dev/drbd0" successfully created
>        pvdisplay
>             --- NEW Physical volume ---
>           PV Name               /dev/md4
>           VG Name
>           PV Size               129,45 GB
>           Allocatable           NO
>           PE Size (KByte)       0
>           Total PE              0
>           Free PE               0
>           Allocated PE          0
>           PV UUID               MtxjHy-8zfW-i9nq-TJA4-b6F9-jtcW-FkanLB
>
>     /dev/md4 is the raid device over was configured drbd0.
>
>     Why /dev/md4 it's taken as PV Name?

It's trying to be helpful! Normally people build MD devices out of other devices
and so LVM uses the MD in preference to other devices it finds with the same UUID.

You'll need to exclude the MD device in the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf filters entry.
something like:

filter =[ "r/md4/" ]

--
Patrick

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street,
Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 ITE, UK.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903