[linux-lvm] Several volume groups on a single physical volume?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 30 10:04:11 UTC 2007

I recently tried to setup a second volume group on my drive and discovered
that it can't be done.  Is there some recommended practice for how to
"emulate" such a feature?

Basically all I want to do is to partition my set of partitions into one set
that relates to, say, the OS, and the other that relates to, say, the users,
and finally a third one that relates to, say, random data (like a music and
video database).

I currently just put all those partitions into the same volume group, but
I find it intellectually unsatisfactory.

I guess if I were sufficiently motivated I could layer LVM on top of itself:
have one pv holding one vg which holds 3 partitions (OS, User, Data), and
then have each one of those partitions be LVM physical volumes, ...

What is the "best practice" way to use volume groups and logical volumes and
to handle situations such as the one above?

        Stefan