[linux-lvm] Best practice: metadata backup

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Sun Aug 5 04:17:15 UTC 2007

LVM keeps backups of metadata in /etc/lvm (or some distro specific place).
This is not especially useful when the root filesystem itself is in LVM.
I have been making rsync backups of /etc/lvm to /boot (which is non-LVM
since grub doesn't support LVM until 1.95).  Should I make /etc/lvm a
symlink to /boot/lvm?

When grub supports LVM, and the entire disk is LVM (no partition table),
how will backups be made?  AIX treats the boot LV specially, and ensures
that its PEs are contiguous at the beginning of the disk(s).  Will Linux
LVM do something similar?  Or will we just keep allocating a non-LVM boot
partition?

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>