[linux-lvm] Altering a Physical Volume's UUID on SATA

A.Lizard alizard at ecis.com
Mon Aug 20 23:40:14 UTC 2007

At 03:14 PM 8/20/07, you wrote:

>On 20 Aug 2007 at 12:55, A.Lizard wrote:
>
>Date sent:              Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:55:59 -0700
>To:                     linux-lvm at redhat.com
>From:                   "A.Lizard" <alizard at ecis.com>
>Subject:                Re: [linux-lvm] Altering a Physical Volume's UUID on
>SATA
>Send reply to:          LVM general discussion and development <linux-
>lvm at redhat.com>
>         <mailto:linux-lvm-
>request at redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
>         <mailto:linux-lvm-
>request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>
>
> > At 07:48 AM 8/20/07, you wrote:
> > While you probably describe a better solution, this was written to provide
> > a general solution to the "change uuid" problem to the community that
> > actually works on SATA and to provide a how-to reference for LVM
> filesystem
> > cloning in the context of the "how to set up a mirror drive quickly and
> > easily" section of an article in progress written for novices on how to
> > transition from an IDE to SATA drive in a Linux workstation.
> >
> > dd + changing uuid + vgrename appears to be the quickest and easiest
> > solution for LVM drive cloning, since the user won't have to worry about
> > setting up drive partitions or creating a MBR or setting up an LVM
> > filesystem manually.
> >

>I must be missing something hear. I currently handle the g4l (ghost for
>linux) project,

NOW I find out about this? Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into the
project.

>  which does disk and partitioning images using dd with ftp and
>compression or can also do images to local drives or can clone disks.

I used dd between a pair of identical HDs.

>Usually this is to the same size or larger disk, and I am aware of a
>problem if cloning from an IDE drive to an SATA drive. The system will not
>mount since the initrd doesn't include the SATA support.

Debian Etch (final) *does* support SATA, presumably including proper initrd
setup. Installers before Etch beta-4 don't.
http://www.linuxhowtos.org/System/raid.htm

Thanks for writing this post, that is something I should have made clear in
my article-in-progress and ... now have.

I did the initial drive setup by doing a minimal install of Debian Etch to
the new disk to create partitions and the MBR and then opening a Live CD
and rsyncing (in overwrite mode) hda1 > sda1 and hda5 > sda5, then changing
the /boot/grub/device.map entry as follows:
(hd0)   /dev/hda

from /dev/hda to /dev/sda

As soon as I did this, and changed /dev/hda5 to /dev/sda5 in /etc/fstab,
the system booted and operated normally. I am using that system to run the
e-mail client in which I am writing this post right now. (Windows is
running via a VMware Server guest)

For regular backup, I simply rsync from a modified Knoppix LiveCD with
rsync and dar scripts that automatically mount the drive partitions and
send the changes to a backup drive.