[linux-lvm] won't dual boot: 2 disks and LVM

pham_cuong at emc.com pham_cuong at emc.com
Tue Dec 18 21:52:42 UTC 2007

There is a difference between changing the boot order from the BIOS vs.
[physically] removing the master HD.  Here's why:

In the former case, the BIOS boot order is at the lower-level (earlier)
and it will take effect before the boot loader exists in each drive.
Depending on your BIOS, the boot order can be fixed or priority-based
(most BIOSes support priority-based boot path).  Fixed order means that
only the specified boot order is used.  Priority-based boot order means
that the system will attempt the first boot path on the list, if failed,
or timed out, goes to the 2nd boot path.  BIOS boot order only changes
the order of which path to boot from first. It has no control over the
designation of which drive is detected and designated as drive 0 or
drive 1.  Boot.ini has this level of granularity, and more... Down to
the partition level (one below the disk level).

The act of removing the Master HD changes the HD designation at the
hardware level, and this in turn may affect how the system boots (for
non-SCSI only). Specifically, for your case the XP's boot.ini may
designate that XP is to be booted from the first disk (connected to
PR1), first paritition, and you've physically connect this drive as a
secondary/slave (SL) drive so XP will never boot when XP's boot loader
reads the boot.ini.  Upon either moving this drive to the primary (PR1)
connection, or change the boot.ini, the drive order for this drive is
changed from disk1 to disk0, so XP would see this drive and be able to
boot from it.  As you can see, in this case, changing the BIOS boot
order is inconsequential.

Regards,

Confucius