[linux-lvm] won't dual boot: 2 disks and LVM

michael cs at networkingnewsletter.org.uk
Wed Dec 19 18:04:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:33 -0500, pham_cuong at emc.com wrote:
> Instead of discussing back and forth w/o real data to discuss/explore with concrete evidences, could you:
>
> A. Post the content of both the grub.conf and boot.ini files

mkb at veri:~$ sudo cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.8-34.fc7)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.8-34.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb agp=off #MKB: added agp=off
        initrd /initrd-2.6.23.8-34.fc7.img
title Fedora (2.6.22.4-65.fc7)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.4-65.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb agp=off #MKB: added agp=off
        initrd /initrd-2.6.22.4-65.fc7.img
title WinXP
      map (hd0) (hd1)
      map (hd1) (hd0)
      rootnoverify (hd1,0)
      chainloader +1

mkb at veri:~$ cat /mnt/winXP/boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=1
[operating systems]
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

> B. Tell us the physical position of each of the drive, and

can't open case but there's 2 SATA drives one of 500GB (Fedora/LVM) and
the other of 750GB (XP and a ext3 partition)

> C. The current BIOS setting

the usual setting I use is first try to boot from 500GB and then from
750GB

> D. Any observed behavior with the settings stated in A,B, and C.

(a) with BIOS HD boot order [500,750], and select WinXP, it starts to
boot XP and I see the XP logo/splash with the moving blue bar, then it
goes blank and the HD light is on for a couple of minutes but then
nothing more happens apart from the occasional flicker of the HD light

(b) with BIOS HD boot order [500,750], and select WinXP, but hit F8 and
select 'safe mode' it does boot into safe mode XP although the USB mouse
doesn't work. I see a 0 byte C drive and the expected 10 GB E drive

(c) with order [750, 500] then I get the same behaviour as (a), (b)
depending if I don't/do hit F8 and don't/do select 'safe mode'

I'll try wiping the XP and reinstalling from scratch! Although I'm
beginning to think using 'vmplayer' and not having to reboot into XP is
a better option!

Thanks, Michael