[linux-lvm] Doubts about LVM2 real limits

Scott Smyth scotts at cuttedge.com
Wed Feb 7 15:53:32 UTC 2007

We have done >100 TB without a problem in a VG and in
a single LV.  The problem is with file system selection if you
are using this large a LV as a file system.  You are limited to
XFS or JFS w/o venturing into ext4 and reiserfs4 which
some people view as experimental still.

We can only speak for XFS on a 100 TB file system.  We have
yet to try ext4 or reiserfs4 as a commercial file system.

3 Xyratex FC RAID controllers w/ expansion chassis attached.
4 Gb/s QLogic controllers.

linux-2.6.17.14
device-mapper-1.02.13
LVM2-2.02.16