[linux-lvm] Extending the Root Volume with LVM

Sean McGlynn sean_mcglynn at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 20:11:30 UTC 2007

I am working with
RHEL 4 Update 4.  When initially installing the OS I allowed the installation to
automatically partition the disk, and it used LVM to create a logical volume to
mount the root file system.  The only other logical volume it created was for
the swap file.

Now, as an
experiment, I am attempting to extend the volume group and logical volume on
which root is mounted.  Everything appeared to be going smoothly (extending the
VG, extending the LV, doing a vgchange, and then a lvm lvchange), but I am now
at the point where I want to run e2fsck to check the file system and resize2fs
to resize the files system to realize the added space, and I can't do either
because the volume is mounted, and cannot be unmounted.

I've read a few
suggestions such as using the installation media to go in in rescue mode, but
nothing seems to do the trick.  I also read something that said that you cannot
extend the root volume, and that you shouldn't have to.  This appears to be more
accurate than anything else I've read.

Is it the case that
you cannot extent the root volume, and if so, why would RHEL configure the root
volume using LVM if you can't?  If I am missing something, I would greatly
appreciate someone pointing out what I'm missing.

Thank
you.

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html