[linux-lvm] LVM & snapshots

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Tue Feb 20 12:58:11 UTC 2007

I tried LVM a few years back and "burnt my fingers" as it were - I found
it slow and unstable, but times are changing, progress being made, etc. so
does anyone have any input on it's current stability and usability?

Basically, I'm running out of steam on some backup servers I have - trying
to copy several TB of data using cp -al, then rsyncing on top of it (and
then copying the copy, etc. to give me 30 days of backups) has been
working well for some time, but the data-set is increasing all the time,
and the cp -al is currently taking 4-5 hours, so snapshotting via LVM is
looking like it's something I think I ought to be looking into again.

The current data-set is 5TB, and having 150TB of storage isn't an option
right now... Essentially I need to be able to keep 30 cycles (days) of
snapshots on a server that is not a live server (ie. it's a huge disk
array, in a secure bunker backing up several remote servers every day, and
dumping the occasional snapshot to tape for archive. Data comes into the
server via a 100Mb line & rsync from the remote servers).

So is LVM(2) up to this task these days, or should I really be looking at
something else?

Cheers,

Gordon